All you need to know about the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit

For most people, going to work is a necessity. The money that we earn from work goes towards paying for day to day costs of living. However, the workplace poses certain dangers and sometimes an accident can happen that stops a person from being able to carry out their job anymore and stops them from being able to earn enough money to cover their cost of living. If this has happened to you, then you may be eligible for the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit.
There can be a lot of hazards at work.

People who work in industrial or manual handling positions are particularly at risk. Common workplace injuries include getting a body part caught or crushed in machinery, falling from a height such as a ladder or roof, and damage to bones and joints. However, even tripping in an office can cause serious injury.

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit is weekly payment that is there to help people who have suffered a serious accident meet the cost of living. The amount of money received by an individual depends on age as well as the severity of the accident. The seriousness of an accident is measured by a doctor on a scale of one to 100 percent.

You can claim for the benefit if your accident was suffered while you were employed and working in England, Scotland or Wales. However, those who have suffered a work at work while self-employed are not eligible to receive the benefit.
To claim, you have to go online and complete a form. The form is available from the UK Government’s website. The process for claiming is the same whether it’s for claims for crushing, industrial deafness claims or any other types of claims.

To help fill out the form, it can help if you’ve kept details about your accident. It is also important to report your accident. You can do this at your place of work, who, by law, must keep a record of any serious accidents that have happened on their employees while at work.

You should also report the accident to the relevant government office by applying for a declaration that you have had an industrial accident. This is important to do even if your injury has not caused you any immediate concerns; a serious injury could lead you to developing complications later in life.

If successful, an accident at work claim for the Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit can affect any other benefits that you’re receiving. However, this depends on the amount of money you have coming in. If you’re on any sort of benefit relating to low income, such as Income support or Pension Credit, then you should contact the office that handles your claim for further advice.

Although serious injuries can seriously affect the ability of a person to carry out a task, they may still be able to stay in their job. For more help to stay in employment after suffering a serious injury, see the UK Government’s website.

Sponsored article by Simon Lucas